Tuesday, December 05, 2006

O Vanity Thy Name is America!

Romans 1:25 - (NASB) "For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen."

Just recently I found myself watching "E", the channel devoted to celebrity gossip and worship because, well, I really like Joel McHale and "The Soup". I'm a sucker for keeping up on the latest meltdown by Danny DeVito or what Paris Hilton is up to just, because. But the other day, I was greeted with a bizarre story via a commercial for one of the channel's flagship shows, Dr. 90210. I watched, in the span of a commercial, as a young couple came to the doctor in "need" of some critical surgery. The need? She apparently suffered from a lopsided labia. His need? A saggy scrotum.

What is wrong with us? Is this what we've become? Time was, you were just glad to have someone interested in those most delicate of areas. Now we're even obsessed about their appearance? And this comes at what expense to us? And to our communities? I truly wonder how much money goes into genital-based plastic surgery. I wonder how many hungry mouths that may feed or how many Christmas gifts that may buy for underpriveleged kids. Even in light of the argument regarding self esteem and whatnot, the money would have been better spent on some type of therapy, helping these young people to love and appreciate who they are as opposed to having to artificially augment themselves. We ought to be ashamed of ourselves.

No comments: