Thursday, October 12, 2006

A Random Question

Just yesterday as I was exiting the bathroom of the company that I work for I was struck with a bit of an odd thought. There's really no good reason for this thought and no real reason I want to know the answer other than to possess said knowledge. Yet, I really do want to know. Here's the question:

Why did we start wearing underwear?

Okay, I know it's a weird question and, no, I'm not anti-underwear but, well, I'm curious. Before you (all three of you who maybe read this every now and then!) start hitting me with your takes on the whole concept and development of boxers, briefs, and brassieres, let me offer some of my ideas and thoughts on this critical topic.

1.) I'm not talking about women's undergarments here, particularly brassieres. There is an obvious reason here for the advent of these items that falls under the heading, "support".

2.) A practical view of underwear may find it's birth in stylistic changes. Fashion changes and the need for something to guard against such evil forces as painful zippers and relentless buttons may be part of the reason.

3.) The Puritans. These were not people very keen on the idea of my skin showing, let alone getting a quick peek due to a strong breeze. Therefore, maybe underwear were their idea of preserving sexual purity and moral integrity?

4.) Warmth. We're all familiar with those Scottish fellas and what they don't wear beneath the kilt, but, doesn't it get a bit chilly there in merry old Scotland? Maybe they're just trying to keep their proverbial goods warm and toasty?

5.) Sin. Okay, admittedly this sounds a little deep for such a "trite" topic but I think there is some legitimacy to it. Consider the whole story of Creation and Adam and Eve. They sinned, realized that they were naked. Covering themselves with leaves, God eventually makes them some nice lambskin fashions. Perhaps underwear were another aspect of covering ourselves, of hiding our shame. And, we've got to admit, as a people, humans are pretty ashamed, with exception of some, of our cash and prizes.

Those are just some theories. While friends may think me a bit off, I'm actually going to have to Google this mess up and see the real story.

2 comments:

Celena said...

Very interesting ...

Andrew Greenhalgh said...

You know you want to know!