Monday, October 02, 2006

Moving Forward

I've been rereading Brian McLaren's, A New Kind of Christian, with a good friend of mine and it's reawakened some thoughts within me. Actually, it's reminded me of where I've been and where I may be going. One particular thing has struck me thus far, and we're only a dash back into the book really. Early on, Brian, in offering up a reason and understanding of the book, presents a chart drawn up for him by, Andrew Jones. The chart essentially outlines a progression from 1 - 4, with portions 2 and 3 finding themselves sqeezing through a small area. Basically, 1 is when all is well, 2 is when we begin to question, doubt, and whatever else and begin to see the fuzzy lines around. It is here that we are most critical and deconstructive in our thinking. Part 3, however, presents a place of healing, a place where we progress constructively, seeking out answers for our questions rather than simply being critical. This leads us to part 4, wherein we rest in the new world we've found.

I'm finally finding myself in part 3. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure that I thought it would ever come. But it has. A renewed fervor for ministry is building underneath me, although a different view of ministry than I might have had before. A new view of God, of the world, of the sacred and the secular all lay before me and, rather than full-on cynicism and skepticism, I now view these things as opportunities and challenges. This is a huge change and is pretty important to me.

This renewal does not imply any desire to stop thinking, however. There will still be moments of wrestling with doubt, times of pain and suffering, and certain heartbreak. Some would accuse that statement of being pessimistic but I see it only as realistic. Life is that series of ups and downs on the proverbial roller coaster and we must acknowledge it as such. But, perhaps the real key is how we respond and in whom we place our trust? May I be encouraged in reflecting back upon my past and looking forward to the exciting place that is the future while always living in the present.

No comments: