Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A Romantic at Heart


This past Valentine's Day, just a little less than a week ago, I gave my beautiful wife a variety of gifts. Candy, flowers, and such were the truck that she found passed her way along with the requisite card. Actually, eight cards but who's counting. Amongst these many baubles was a small booklet I'd found, containing a variety of "cute" coupons that she could have and give to me over the course of time. Being a more sensitive male, I steered clear of the one I saw that was virtually all possessed with bedroom play and instead opted for the sweet, sensitive one which contained such tasks as breakfast in bed, foot rubs, and walks on the beach. What was I thinking?

Well, either way, I gave it to her and now I've got to be that oh-so-romantic man and step up to the plate. Just this past Sunday eve she passed along to me my first task, the task of writing a love poem to her. Now, let's just be honest: I'm not a poet. I've run across some old poems, love and otherwise, that I penned in my earlier days and, to tell the truth, they're awful. It's a sad commentary on how bad the offerings were at my high school which allowed these oozing pages of drivel to find their way into our student publications. But, I digress. I'm a man of my word, and I'm hoping it doesn't completely backfire on me, but here's a little poem, albeit rough, that I've composed for my sweetheart.

Untitled (I'm never very good with titles although if I had to drop one on this I guess I'd call it "A Day of Love")


Morning dew gathers upon silken petals
and feathered flocks take to a dim-lit sky
growing bright
Bright with hopeful rays of sunshine
but none so bright as the
Joy which she's brought to me.

Dappled oaks tremble in a noonday breeze
mossy boughs wavering
Signaling approval as the lovers
rest beneath their shade
The sound of laughter echoes
from the clear stream beside
But none so pure
as she's brought to me.

Pinks and oranges slowly fading to purple
casting curious images upon an eventide skyline
Gentle roaring waves, soothing, strong
caress the shoreline
Velvet sand soft between our toes
gazes meet as lips join
The most beautiful embrace to me.

I don't care who makes fun of me for tossing up poetry, I love you, sweetheart!

No comments: