Friday, June 08, 2007

Me & Michael English


It's not a cool thing in some circles but I'm a huge Michael English fan. He was one of the first Christian artists I really latched onto, largely because his music served as a bridge between the world of southern gospel (which if you're not sick enough of me bringing up that I was raised on by now!) and contemporary Christian. It didn't hurt that the kid could sing like no one else and he possessed a latent soul within his voice that just resonated with me. Plus, Mike is just cool. He's just got that way about him. We've traveled all over the freakin' world to see him, from overnight trips in RV's to Atlanta to all day trips to Panama City Beach. If he was near, we were doing our best to make it although we've missed the past few times largely due to the fact that, well, we've got kids. Anyway, like it or not, he's my guy.

But Mike's been through some stuff over the past ten years or so, having made some poor decisions that resulted in his almost losing his entire career, abusing drugs and alcohol, and other such issues. He details much of this in his recent book, The Prodigal Comes Home, that I've already mentioned reading before. But, he's back. And better than ever. I had the opportunity to interview him for INFUZE a couple of weeks ago and will be posting that as soon as I get it transcribed and I also got to see him do a concert at a local church here in town. It's good to see him back in the swing of things. Mike's life reminds me of the amazing redemption and goodness found in God. Thanks, Mike, for allowing Him to use you.


For more clips, music, and whatnot, you could also check out Mike's site here: Michael English Music

No comments: