Tuesday, June 12, 2007

More Recent Reads

This was a book that I'd waited a long time for and then it took a long time before I finally had the chance to read it but I thoroughly pleased that I did. While some of it was predictable, it was a fascinating look into just a few corners of the emerging church movement. Like a beautiful mosaic, the Church is becoming a fabulous work of art and its great to watch it unfold. Per usual, I found Dan Kimball to be the one with whom I had the most agreement, Mark Driscoll the least although I find his respect for Scripture to be a very positive thing, Doug Pagitt to be very challenging, and Karen Ward to be the one whose church I definately would like to visit one day. If you're a student of the Church and of emerging contexts, this should be on your to-read list.

Due to some friendships I've developed over the years as well as to increasing knowledge of both Scripture and the understanding of our world, I've become increasingly concerned with the need for creation care. Now, I'm not where I need to be, nor am I where I want to be in this respect but at least the conviction is setting in and I'm taking baby steps toward changing. Dr. Sleeth's book is a huge help toward doing that, particularly as it deals with those issues but frames them in a much larger and more appropriate window that calls us to more than recycling but to a new way of living that is in line with the Scriptures and teaching of Christ.

After some of that more serious reading, I needed a bit of a rest and my local Goodwill came through again with another hand-me-down by Mr. Moore. Again, Moore doesn't disappoint with this older title that details the misadventures of one Tucker Case who finds himself on an island with...Well, I don't want to give it away but just suffice it to say that Christopher Moore is one of the more interesting writers of our day. It's not necessarily family-friendly fare but if you give it a shot, I'm pretty sure you'll be happy you did.

No comments: