Monday, November 21, 2005

Community and relationships...

Last night, I found myself engaged in a traditional activity for me during this time of year. I was at the computer, the light of the monitor glowing out at me, as I typed out my Christmas list. Now, let me preface, I'm not a ridiculously material person, although Christ keeps showing me a few areas wherein I could and should let go. I'm just a huge Christmas person and, if you'll allow me to drop a Christian buzzword here, find that one of my key love languages is that of gifts. I love to give gifts, and, because I realize all that goes into giving them, love to receive them as well. I catalogued music I'd like, DVD's, books, and, as is my tradition, a few wish gifts just for kicks. It's a tradition that I've engaged in for years, ever since I was young and could read. I'd sit for hours with the JC Penney and Sears Christmas catalogs writing out an extensive list for my folks. I'd even include page numbers and a preference listing as well. It's kind of sad but, well, what's a kid to do?

Last night though, as I lay in bed awaiting sleep, my mind wandered and I pondered this idea of simplicity and such. The list is not in and of itself a bad thing. I don't expect to get all of those things nor will I be despondent if I receive none of them. But, there's something that reminded me of how much we pursue in this life that doesn't matter. Yes, that'd be great to get the Sufjan Stevens album that I asked for, or that Johnny Cash DVD. But, do I really need it? What do I need more? The answer came to me in the words of a Waylon Jennings song I'd listened to this morning as I drove to work along some quiet country roads. In the song, Luckenbach, Texas, Waylon sings:

There only two things in life that make it worth livin'
That's guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women
I don't need my name in the marquis lights
I got my song and I got you with me tonight
Maybe it's time we got back to the basics of love
Chorus:Let's go to Luckenbach Texas with Waylon and Willie and the boys
This successful life we're livin' got us fueding like the Hatfield and McCoys
Between Hank Williams pain songs, Newberry's train songsand blue eyes cryin' in the rain out in Luckenbach Texas ain't nobody feelin' no pain
So baby let's sell your diamond ring
Buy some boots and faded jeans and go away
This coat and tie is choking me
In your high society you cry all day
We've been so busy keepin' up with the Jones
Four car garage and we're still building on
Maybe it's time we got back to the basics of love
-Luckenbach, Texas by Waylon Jennings
I guess what it really comes down to is relationships. We need to realize, much like the monastic brothers have, that God and community with others is really all that matter. It's great to have things but we can't hold too tight to them. We need to realize that the simple things in life, a deep breath on a cold morning, the tautness in your muscles as you wrestle for a rebound, and the sincere embrace of a sleepy-eyed child are what it's all about. These are truly the blessings of God. These are riches that we can't find at the mall.

No comments: