Friday, November 18, 2005

A prideful man..

This morning, as I arrived home from playing some very early morning basketball, I was reminded of what a selfish man I am and of how far God has still got to bring me to Him. As I walked through the door, my wife, sitting upon the couch, made a request of me and I just responded in such selfish frustration. Reflecting upon it, I'm just floored. It's somewhat interesting, yet I suppose not very surprising, how God brings forth these things in order to teach us and to purge us of them.

Yesterday, as I read through the Shorter Christian Prayer, I came across a passage from Isaiah that I just can't seem to shake. Isaiah 66:1-2 read: (NIV) "This is what the LORD says: "Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Where is the house you will build for me? Where will my resting place be? Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?" declares the LORD. "This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word." The latter part of the passage just screams to me. He who is humble and contrite. I so desire to be a person of humility and selflessness yet consistently find myself indulging just that, myself. It's a powerful pain that we all bear. May God grant us the grace to leave it in His hands.

Just as an aside to a previous post, regarding Paul Proctor's article about the death of Kyle Lake, I recently read a beautiful post from David Crowder, worship pastor at UBC where Kyle was pastor. Perhaps you'd like to read it: David Crowder.

No comments: