Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Bad Santa...

Recently, I've been thinking a lot about story. I've always been intrigued by the idea of story and find myself coming back to it time and time again. Recently, my friend, Ryan, was the one who got the juices flowing again and then in our Enigma gathering we got to talking about the power of it once again.

So last night I was watching the movie, Bad Santa, not necessarily a movie I'll say I recommend, but that certainly had it's highlights, albeit punctuated by more profanity than I can say I've heard in maybe my entire life. As I was watching this, the idea of story popped into my head again. Halfway through, I really didn't have much hope for the title character, Willie, portrayed wonderfully by Billy Bob Thornton. My wife started watching it at this point, and as I laughed, a bit ashamedly, I just said, "This is sooo bad!" But, the movie continued and I saw what I'd been seeing everywhere. This was a story of redemption, of someone who rose above their self-loathing and destruction, to seek the good of another. Willie was not a good man. In fact, Willie was, well, an ass. But something happened within Willie that helped him to see that his life was more than bottles of whiskey and quick rolls in the hay. Willie's life meant something to the little boy, Thurman, and Willie clung to that, and allowed it to bring him to redemption.

It's just interesting to me that wherever you look, people are looking for redemption, even in Bad Santa.

No comments: