Monday, March 27, 2006

How Do I Identify Myself? Part 1?

Okay, so I said that I'd tackle some questions and there's really no time like the present. And, if you're going to tackle something like that, why not start big? So, my question of the day(s) is: How do I identify myself? De Mello makes the case pretty profoundly that we spend far too much of our time associating who we are with outside influences. Essentially, we find our worth in attachments, in things of this world. So, here's my chance to come clean, how do I identify myself?

Well, if asked that question, as it seems I have been, I'd have to say that first I'm a seeker. I'm someone who is in pursuit of Truth, and that Truth I believe is found in the person of Jesus Christ, therefore I would most likely identify myself as a Christian. (I must say, however, that the term "Christian" has become more and more perverted every day and that I'd really love for someone to come up with a better alternative! I'm not particularly proud of being lumped in with fellas like Robertson and Falwell, knowwhatImean?) Anyway, from there I would associate myself with the roles I play as a husband, a father, and an employee. I would also throw student into the batch as well. Perhaps I might add athlete, son, and taxpayer as well.

So, there we have it. There are the ways that I can potentially identify myself. But is there more that I do, perhaps unconsciously, in order to identify myself? What about the way I dress? Or the music I listen to? Or the way that I deal with people? Is there some sense of identification in that as well? I suppose that there is. I don't wear flannel shirts, a mesh cap, work boots and such because, well, I'm not my father. Instead, I opt for a t-shirt, jeans, and sandals as much as I can. But, if I'm very honest, I think that in some ways that fashion statement I make (or lack-of-fashion statement, my wife might assert) makes me cool. The cool vintage tee, the sandals, the comfy jeans...There's something about that which I think makes me cool in someone's eyes.

Okay, gotta take a little break before my head explodes...more later...

3 comments:

Celena said...

I would identify you as a philosopher ... did I spell that right? Grammer never was my strongest subject!
~Celena

Andrew Greenhalgh said...

It's funny...you got philosopher right and misspelled grammar! But, maybe...Philosopher...Hmm...I guess that's part of me. But I don't know if I can identify myself by that! I'll explain later!

Unknown said...

How about "Christ-follower"? I've dropped the "Christian" term. I'm simply a Christ-follower.