Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Tales From the Photo Counter

Just last week my wife shared with me an experience she had at the photo counter of one of our local Walgreens/CVS stores. I thought I'd share it with you.

"So I went up to the store to print out a bunch of these pictures since we were going to be scrapooking. And I'm up there, printing all eighty of my pictures, which takes a freakin' long time, and I'm holding Peyton and a lady comments to me, "She's beautiful". I replied with thanks and checked on my pictures.

The lady continued. "Are you going to shave her head?"

At this, I did a double-take. "Uh, no, I hadn't planned on it."

"Well," the lady of Indian descent replied, "in my country it is customary to shave the head of infants so their hair grows back more full and lush."

The little girl around her feet said, "You shaved my head, didn't you, Mommy?" The mother just nodded.

Weird, huh? And for those still wondering, no. We're not doing it. Even though Peyton has a an old man wraparound right now, we're not doing it.

2 comments:

Celena said...

As strange as it may sound to you ... i've actually seen it done. Yamuna, a friend of mine from the moms group, shaved her daughter Chandramuki's head on her first birthday. It is a custom in their family.

Andrew Greenhalgh said...

Yeah, I understand the cultural thing but it just definately took us back. And, well, it's just strange. Although Erin said that the little girl with the woman did have a lustrous head of hair! :)