Thursday, April 27, 2006

Can't We All Just Get Along?

I remember being in high school when Rodney King was beaten up. I remember seeing the footage of the policemen beating him, pounding his flesh. I remember the tape of his simple statement, "Why can't we all just get along?". I wonder the same, Rodney. I wonder the same.

I've just spent the past few minutes clicking through a few blogs, reading up and catching up on some things I like to keep track of. The problem is, I found myself going back and deleting many of those blogs from my lists. I guess I'm just tired of the fighting. I'm tired of all the fighting we do within rather than reaching out to those in need. I'm tired of finding myself more conflicted over non-essential doctrinal bullcrap than in our not acknowledging the pain of the world around us.

Additionally, I'm tired of a world that promotes celebrity as the ultimate distraction. I'm tired of hearing about Lindsay and Paris and Jessica and whatever the next starlet might be 24/7. I'm tired of celebrity news and entertainment television shows dominating our minds, our periodicals, and our airwaves when just down our neighborhood streets, someone is starving. Across the ocean, hundreds of thousands are starving. AIDS plagues the continent of Africa and we instead find ourselves oohing and aahing at the newest celebrity baby.

Something is wrong. We as Christians and we as simply human beings need to get our heads out of the arguments and into the real fight going on around us. I'm not suggesting that we reject truth, for I do believe in truth, but am rather suggesting that we live truth! We must engage this world. Our engagement must be more than hot air. We need to get our hands dirty. I need to get my hands dirty...

No comments: