Monday, April 03, 2006

A New Experience...

So, yesterday, I entered into a whole new world. For some time I've been interested in the world of monastic spirituality and have spent some time researching and studying various aspects of it. Even within this blog you'll find references to guys like Merton, Nouwen, and most recently, De Mello. I find their approach refreshing, honest, and intriguing. So, my mentor friend and I have done some hunting and found a monastery nearby that offers an oblate program. He went up and checked things out last month and this month I decided to tag along.

Okay, let me just say that it was a bit of a culture shock. Please remember and know that I was born and raised in an independent Baptist setting where the Catholic Church was giving birth to the Anti-Christ, perhaps even as we sat there discussing it. So, as we walked onto the grounds, wandered around, and eventually entered into the church for noon prayers, I felt as though I had the scarlet "P" on my chest: Protestant!. I asked my friend if there were any things I needed to know before entering and he shook his head no. Well, he was sort of right. But I did feel a little behind trying to follow all of the responsive sayings and knowing when to stand and sit.

But, all culture shock aside, there was a great sense of peace and reverence within the sanctuary. I sat there as we read through a portion of the Psalms, hearing the Word of God wash over us, engaging it, and looking up at the huge crucifix upon the wall. Surrounding us on all sides were stained glass windows, one tier bearing the images of saints, the second tier bearing the images of the stations of the cross. The sense of worship, that something important was taking place, was very tangible in the air. It almost let me forget that I was in new waters.

After the prayers, we had a time of lunch and then entered into the oblate classes/discussion led by a really cool priest, Father Isaac. By far, with only one exception, I was the youngest among a sea of gray. But, everyone was very kind and accepting. The discussion was interesting, challenging, and frustrating at times. It was compelling to see how some would engage the discussion without considering the calls of Scripture first. In seeking out a spiritual life and a way of humility, it would seem as though we would begin there. Although some did not.

All in all, it was a rewarding experience. I still have to process some more of it but I think I'll be back next month.

No comments: