Thursday, April 26, 2007

Hello, My Name is Andrew...

...and I like American Idol. I tried not to watch this season. I really did. But, like some stinkin' tractor beam it pulled me right in. Part of it has to do with the fact that, come bedtime for my little girl, there's really no place to seek solace outside of our living room till she's fully asleep and snoring soundly. Yet, I could try to resist and yet, it's like a drug. The music just calls to me.

Well, now that I've got that off of my chest I just wanted to applaud American Idol for their show last evening, Idol Gives Back. I didn't watch all of it partially because I just wasn't in the mood and, well, it just creeps me out a bit to watch Celene Dion perform and because my wife had control of the remote and was doing her best ADD impression of switching between two or three channels as I sought to return to the world of Hogwart's in the sixth installment of Harry Potter. But, I did see enough to consider the show a well-intended and appropriate one. Sure, charity is big time in Hollywood right now with celebs like Madonna and Angelina Jolie adopting kids like they're new handbags but, the bottom line is that these are truly issues that need to be addressed. I'm with Bono in thinking and hoping that our generation may be the one that eradicates poverty and suffering like that being seen in modern day Africa. And American Idol took a nice step in bringing aid and visibility to that cause last night.

It's daunting to see such issues before us as we sit in our comfy chairs and couches, drinking from our cool beverages, enjoying aid conditioned luxury with our full bellies while a mere distance away, literally millions of people are struggling with AIDS/HIV, malaria, impure water, and starvation, many of these attributable to poverty. Many times I wonder how to make a tangible difference when the problem seems so large. But, that old adage holds true here: The journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step. We're going to help out in any way we can. I encourage you to do the same.

Check out the ONE campaign site for more details: www.one.org

1 comment:

Celena said...

I watched the whole thing too. Very moving. I wanted to give those poor people all the money I had.