Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Sexual Healing

Recently, for whatever reason, the word "sexual therapist" has caught my eye whenever I see it. Most often, it's on a book I'm receiving into our store's inventory or on the back cover as I'm doing my best to strip the label off so I can send it back. But, the title has grabbed me as of late and left me with a question: How does one become a sexual therapist?

Well, let's consider the connotation here first. The initial understanding, at least in my sleep-deprived head, is that one who fits this description is one who, now stay with me, provides sexual therapy. This is a person who majored in sex, so to speak. How do you do that? How do you become the guy or girl who is the sex major? Was there a class for this? What university do you go to to get this degree? Do you see my frustration here? My confusion?

Now, I'm all for the institution of sexual therapy. Clearly, there are numbers of folks in this world who find themselves struggling with various disorders and situations that call for the instruction of someone who's a little more knowledgeable. But again, more knowledgeable? Okay, one image for you and I'll close this little crazy diatribe: Dr. Ruth. Dr. Ruth is one of our foremost sexual therapists. I just don't get it....

No comments: