Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Recent Reading and Viewing


For whatever reason, I've been in a very good place to devour fiction. As I've already mentioned, I've been pouring over the Harry Potter books and this time is no different. The fifth in the series was the best yet, drawing out more interesting characters and plot devices. I'll admit, in some ways, having the movies around only helps to enhance these books as people like Professor Snape seem fully realized in the person of Alan Rickman. Either way, it was an excellent read. I picked up #6 just the other day and am going to start any day now.




Chuck Palahniuk writes with such a wry cynicism and biting sense of humor. He continues to amaze me with his unique look at life and his first-person style of writing leaves little to be desired. Survivor is a great look at celebrity and life and proves to be a great read.

Stranger Than Fiction is one of the better movies that I've seen in a long time. Will Ferrell plays the straight man well in this one, making you genuinely care for him and Emma Thompson is wonderful. Maggie Gyllenhaal is also terrific as Ferrell's love interest and continues to earn some solid credibility with her acting choices. I really enjoyed this film for it's portrayal of the writing life, of showcasing the writer's almost visual imagination as they view a scene in what comes across as an entirely different vision than most. I also appreciated the struggle with the character and the author. It sounds a bit crazy but, when writing, those characters seem far more real than they really are at times. Either way, this is a keeper!

2 comments:

Celena said...

Glad to see you so sucked in to harry's story. What I want to know is how you have all this time to read so many books. :)

Andrew Greenhalgh said...

It all comes down to having entirely different tastes than my wife when it comes to our entertainment choices. She likes so many bad TV shows that I just go ahead and read while she's watching them!