Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Some Recent Reading

Despite my slight bummed out spirit over not knowing which way to go with this life I've been given, and in between trying to jam out some writing here and there during the few, very few, quiet moments I have in life, I've been able to catch up on some reading lately. I think that the situations of life have lead me to wanting something of a fantasy adventure to lose myself in so my choices definately reflect that.

Christopher Moore is simply one of my favorite writers that I've come across and this one doesn't disappoint. It's a very unique look at vampires, relationships, and love. In only a way that Christopher Moore can!At the behest of my good friend Celena, I once again eschewed my fundamental, evangelical moorings and dove headfirst into the world of young Mr. Harry Potter. She suggested that I wouldn't be able to put them down and, well, I'm still reading and am now debating whether or not I might need to pre-order number seven!





Just a thought I had while overhearing some discussion while in the midst of reading through some of these books...The concepts of magic and wizardry and the like are among some of the dangers upheld against the Harry Potter series in much of the conservative Christian crowd. And while I agree that the Bible does teach against placing your trust in divination and dealing with certain things, I'm not so sure that this series is intended to really charm you into picking up a crystal ball, a broom, and a new wand from your local magic shop. Either way, I was just struck with the idea that some of our traditions and ideas might be seen just as unusual. Consider some sects of believers who greatly emphasize holy water or anointing oil. What of those who pray over rooms and windows and doors, seeking solace from the Enemy? I don't know. All I'm saying is that sometimes we need to stop and consider what we're doing.

1 comment:

Celena said...

See!!!! I knew you would like them.