Monday, April 09, 2007

The Truth War


It's been a little while since I've posted anything really related to the Church or to things emergent but this recently crossed my path and I just felt like commenting a bit. I knew that this book was coming, due to a few bloggers here and there that spoke of it, yet I guess I just wasn't ready. Now, to be fair, the answer to begin with is, no, I haven't read the book. I have taken a few moments to page through, have read the cover copy, and looked through the list of references and footnotes cited in the back. And, even though I haven't read it, I think I'm saddened by John MacArthur's newest, The Truth War.

Let me say this before I continue. I respect Dr. John MacArthur even while I disagree with him. He has spent a good portion of his life studying and defending the Bible and his work in that area cannot be denied. Yet, while I respect his study, tenacity, and passion for this I do clearly disagree with some of his conclusions. This is certainly one such case.

Two things, again, having not read the book yet, stand out at me at the outset. One such issue is Dr. MacArthur's clear misunderstanding of what comprises the emerging church. A quick flip through the footnotes indicates that MacArthur's knowledge of the emerging church is limited to the statements and works created by Brian McLaren. Now certainly, Brian has in some ways shouldered much of the initial public burden of bringing some discussion to light but I think I'm confident in saying that McLaren himself would argue that he does not speak for the whole. One of the beauties and, for some, frustrations of the emerging movement is the focus on discussion and conversation. We bring all the ideas to the table and attempt to work them out in a collaborative context. While McLaren has done a whole lot of legwork for the emerging church, he is not the sole spokesperson. I'm just left wondering if Dr. MacArthur truly studied the movement enough? Just a concern.

My second concern and frustration begins with the cover image and extends to the wording contained. The mainstream world sees enough of Christians bickering and fighting and, Lord knows, history itself is rife with this kind of strife. Yet, here we are in 2007 calling each other out to war. The language of war itself presupposes a number of things and I think Dr. MacArthur is rash in his assessment of the movement. The emerging movement is by no means perfect. I daresay that those considering themselves within would argue the same. Yet to call out a war on fellow believers seems to be in poor taste and simply poor judgement. A diversity of opinions resides in the pool known as emerging and perhaps one is better left reading a book like Listening to the Beliefs of Emerging Churches: Five Perspectives and decide for oneself.
For a few more thoughts on the issue, pastor Bob Hyatt has posted some good stuff here.

No comments: