Thursday, January 19, 2006

Deaths and Legacies...

The other day my mentor's father died of a sudden heart attack. It wasn't very unexpected, the idea of his passing, due to his age and a battle with prostate cancer that he'd been waging. Either way though, the death hit home. Prior to that, we've gone to two other funerals recently. The first was for a one of my wife's very good friend's mom. It was truly a heartbreaking thing to watch our friend break in grief over the loss of her mother.

The second was the funeral for my wife's grandmother. I sat in the pew at that particular service and allowed thoughts to ramble through my mind. The first thought I had was how odd funerals really are. There are, hopefully, a few people there and everyone is commenting on how "good" the deceased looks. It's almost disturbing that the comparison is drawn from the waxen body laying prostrate in the casket to the vibrant, living soul who we once knew. But I suppose that is how we are to act.

The second thought was one that is not so new as it is simple and profound. I asked myself as I listened to the eulogies that were brought and the kind words that were said what sort of legacy I hope to leave. The question formed in my thoughts, "What would someone say about me at my funeral?"

It's a frightening question, really. It makes us examine how we've really lived our lives. Have we really loved well? Have we spent our time right? Have we invested ourselves in the things that matter?

I hope I have and yet know that there is still so much improvement to be made. Each day brings a renewed understanding of my depravity and another challenge to tackle. Each day a new issue arises that calls to me, luring me away from spending my time in a truly honorable fashion.

May we learn now so that we may truly rest then.

No comments: