Friday, January 13, 2006

New Year....committments...

I'm not a big New Year's person. I've never really made a traditional New Year's resolution or anything like that. But, this year seems as though it may be a pivotal one so, well, I guess I'll throw something out there. Not a list of resolutions, mind you, but, let's call them committments. Or perhaps even better, goals.

Goal #1: Read all the unread books I have in my library. I'm going to track my reading this year just for the heck of it and I really need to work my way through a bunch of books I already own!

Goal #2: Finish up my bachelor's degree, finally.

Goal #3: Take a vacation. I haven't really had one in nearly seven years, since our honeymoon. It's time for a legitimate getaway.

Goal #4: Go on a spiritual retreat, preferably to a monastery.

Goal #5: Write. And then write some more. I can't aspire to be a writer, or whatever, if I don't in fact actually discipline myself to do just that. My initial goal is to build to writing for at least a half hour a day and go from there.

Goal #6: Be intentional about developing community with others and loving and serving them as Christ.

Goal #7: Turn the television off more.

Goal #8: Experience silence and solitude more.

Goal #9: To take action against injustices in practical ways. To align myself with organizations and needs that I can take part it in order to help and serve others.

Goal #10: Love more, especially in terms of my family. To make more tangible effort to show them that I love them deeply and truly.

Well, that's a start...

No comments: