Thursday, January 05, 2006

Merton responds...

The other day, I posted a rather long litany of questions, which could have gone far much longer, whose answers I find myself pondering as we enter into this new year. There are the basic concerns of career and family, friends and foes. There are also the questions that continue to haunt and cajole me of rethinking my theologies and of constantly attempting to see Jesus Christ in fresh, new ways as His word promises us. These questions have a tendency, at times anyway, to create a bit of a burden.

Well, last night I was reading a bit, still in Thomas Merton's, The Sign of Jonas, and I ran across this simple line:

"Stop asking yourself questions that have no meaning. Or if they have, you'll find out when you need to - find out both the questions and the answers."

That's pretty profound and, well, encouraging. I'm probably not going to stop asking questions but perhaps I'll start rethinking the questions in order to ask whether or not I'm asking the right questions. Hmmm...

Just while I'm at it, let me share one more jewel from Merton. He writes:

"It is a great thing when Christ, hidden in souls - and perhaps forced by the world to keep in hiding - manifests Himself unexpectedly by an unplanned expression of His presence. Then souls light up on all sides with recognition of Him and discover Him in themselves when they did not even imagine He could be anywhere. His one image is in us all, and we discover Him by discovering the likeness of His Image in one another."

Wow...

No comments: