Thursday, August 16, 2007

Desert Island Discs

I was reading this book review on Paste Magazine's site the other day and I got me to thinking, "What is my desert island disc?" Of course, I knew that one would not be sufficient so I'm going to allow myself five, just because in the event of a plane crash, tidal wave, or sinking ship, I'm pretty damn confident that I'd be able to grab at least that many before falling into utter hysteria. And, well, I'm not that sure of what they are just yet. But, just for kicks, I thought I'd ask my faithful four readers (maybe we've lost one, added another, hmm?) what their seminal albums were? What are the albums that just make you quiver even today? What five would you take on a desert island?

The article itself goes on to discuss something else, namely the push of technology and the endangerment of albums as a whole. With the digital age and the ability to pick and choose songs, we're in serious danger of loosing classic art pieces like The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper" or Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. So, I ask you another question: What is that life changing album or two that you've had? What was that album that you heard and you knew that the world was going to be all right because this music existed within it? I really am curious to hear some responses. Wonder if anyone will?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I have one of those every few years . . . a new one that replaces the old. When I was younger, it was Coldplay's "Parachutes." Now, it might be "Frengers" by Mew or maybe, maaaybe OK Computer.

Thanks for the link, by the way!

Andrew Greenhalgh said...

Thanks for the comment, David! And no problem on the link. I appreciate your site for keeping those of us who consider ourselves reviewers or critics or whatever honest, particularly within the CCM set. I still haven't come up with my seminal must have disc or discs though. Part of it has to be in context as to the time of life and whatnot. I'm just pondering...