Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I Heart Fishing

When I was growing up, fishing was a pasttime that my father and I attempted to share. I was always one who enjoyed rod and reel fishing, particularly freshwater fishing. I loved the peace and quiet and having the opportunity to experience nature, watching the waves lap against the shore or the edge of the boat. I liked keeping my eyes open for all varieties of wildlife that might make themselves seen and really just dug the time with my Dad. My Dad was more of a castnet kind of guy, particularly given his passion for mullet fishing. Sadly, this was something that I never really latched onto. I tried, and to this day if you asked me I could throw a net for you. My problem was seeing the fish. This was not an easy task and, well, to my father's great sadness, I just never quite caught on.

Well, as a short glance down the page will show, my son and I have taken up fishing. I'd forgotten how much I really enjoyed the experience of being outside, of watching my bobber (yes, we're fishing old-school!) float across the surface of that water, and especially of having my son beside me learning. Now Tyler's not necessarily clued in all that well, and he tends to have more fun casting, then handing the pole to me to do the actual fishing so he can down a popsicle or rummage through the tackle box. Either way, I love the time I get to spend with him.

And, tonight, my son caught his first legitimate fish. While we're referring to the pic below as Tyler's actual catch, tonight was the real deal. Granted, it happened sort of by accident, as Tyler was holding the pole for a rare second while I baited our other pole's hook but when the bobber dove under the surface of the water and I hollered for him to reel, Tyler drew in our whopper of the evening. I'm going to say it. I'm a proud papa. I love my son. He's an amazing kid who continues to teach me each and every day. This morning he reminded me that he loves me. I hope he remembers that when he's sixteen...

No comments: