Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Thirty-One


Yup, you read that right. In just about twenty or so minutes, I'll cross that irreversible moment in time where I move from the ill-fated thirty to thirty one. For so many, moving from their twenties into the land of thirtysomethings is the tough transition. I'm different for some reason. Thirty, while a bit weighty, was pretty much a breeze. But shifting into thirty-one? Now that's a different story.

I'm not entirely sure why that is but I think a lot of it has to deal with the fact that I'm in a place that I didn't see on my coveted ten-to-fifteen year plan out of high school. Oh, sure, I've checked off a few things that were on the list, things like getting married and having a few munchkins but, well, I guess I just didn't see things panning out this way so far. I mean, I suppose I had these thoughts of, say, home ownership or, well, maybe a fulfilling career. Thus far, nada. Plus, I've had to go back and erase points that I thought I'd achieved, points of certainty and of having things figured out. It turns out, the older I get, the less I'm really certain of.

One thing I am certain of is that I do love my family, my friends, and my God. That God looks a little different in my mind than perhaps He once did but I still cherish that relationship. And my kids and my wife make the world for me. As I watch them grow, in ways both physical and otherwise, it challenges, frightens, and encourages me to be a part of their lives. I don't know, maybe thirty-one will bring a much needed breath of fresh air. Maybe it'll bring more crap that I didn't plan on. Either way, I'm sure it can only be more interesting...

Just an FYI...Here's some folks that share/have shared my Aug. 21st b'day:

Count Basie
Gene Roddenberry
Joe Strummer
Kim Cattrall
Jim McMahon
Carrie-Anne Moss

Take that August 19th!

1 comment:

Celena said...

Happy Birthday Andy! Better late than never right? And i'm with you on the 31 thing. It hit me harder than 30 did. I always remember your birthday coming with the start of school each year. Ah ... fond memories of making you run through the commons to art class. :) And Hurricane Andrew coming the same time. Boy how life has changed, huh?